TheWineRambler "A German wine label is one of the things life's too short for" - Kingsley Amis

Recent comments

• Liebfraumilch Rheinhessen Qualitätswein   1 hour 8 min ago

1977 Liebfraumilch
    Qualitatswein
    A,p.Nr.49071334178
    Bottled and shipped by
    A,Nollen Erben,Alf
    Imported by Ericka Imports,
    Brooklyn,N.Y.

• Liebfraumilch Rheinhessen Qualitätswein   24 weeks 2 days ago

Only a tiny proportion of wines get better with age. Even fewer improve over ten years or more. For a wine to still be great after 40 years it has to be stored very well - which I comment on in this case - and it has to have huge potential - which I don't think your wine ever had. To be honest, I'd be surprised if it is even still drinkable at this stage. Sorry!

• Liebfraumilch Rheinhessen Qualitätswein   24 weeks 5 days ago

WEINGROSSKELLEREIEN WALLDORF & CO BINGEN/RHEIN A. P. Nr. 434231501879 - product of GERMANY - white wine - Imported by Monarch wine co. inc. Brooklyn NY 11232 Permit N.Y. 1-205 Can someone explain this bottle of wine I found in a house that a 89 year old man was taken out of and put in a nursing home? He can not any longer speak and his wife has already passed and there is no children or relatives to contact. Is this bottle of wine worth anything? Or should I use it as a door stopper...?

• Gold in them hills - 30 years of Tuscan Sangiovese with the Marchese de' Frescobaldi   45 weeks 5 days ago

I have worked closely with the Marchesi for 15 years in selling his wines in the UK. Our great relationship has seen him visit some of our restaurants and conduct some of the finest tastings of his amazing wines. To buy these superb wines in the UK visit http://www.wineman.co.uk/brand/marchesi-de-frescobaldi

• Zehnthof Luckert, Müller-Thurgau trocken, 2011   1 year 4 weeks ago

Oh, we are not snobbish about it at all. You may have seen from the link to Julian's article that we do investigate MT and have put some effort into making it more visible. I wasn't aware of Mayschoss - I think that may be worth checking out. Thank you for your comment and the suggestions!

• Zehnthof Luckert, Müller-Thurgau trocken, 2011   1 year 4 weeks ago

Don't be snobby if it comes to German Müller-Thurgau! MT has to be put into the category "simple but good".

The reason that MT is so underrated may be that most of it is not planted in the best terroirs which are reserved for the Rieslings. MT is less demanding than Riesling, it is less sensitive to spring forst and so less risky.

While it is being produced in all wine regions in Germany, one of the most popular Müller Thurgau's is the budget priced "Volkacher Kirchberg" from Franconia. It is a mass wine easily available. I like its specific nutmeg tone, which comes out best in the semisweet version. I find it too aromatic to go with fish, but it is a good food partner with traditional meat dishes like pork roasts.

Similar to Rieslings, MT's can differ a lot depending on terroir and treatmant. Many MT are indeed boring. A completely different style of MT is presented by the Winzergenossenschaft Mayschoss from the Ahr valley. Their MT (called Rivaner) has lots of fruit, very fresh, straightforward with almost no nutmeg at all.

The complicted name MT is widely replaced by the new naming "Rivaner" which stresses its resemblance to the Rieslig grape and has been introduced for marketing reasons.

• Jakob Sebastian, Heimersheimer Berg, Spätburgunder Auslese trocken Alte Reben, 2006   1 year 4 weeks ago

Living only 15 minutes away from the Ahr valley, this is the wine that I literally grew up with.

Within this small region, the Heimersheimer Berg is a somewhat special terroir. It is situated in the eastern part of the region, not far away from the estuary of the Ahr into the Rhine. The soil of the Ahr is of vulcanic origin, with slate and grauwacke on the hillsides, but sand, loess and loam in the shallow terroirs near the small river. The Heimersheimer Berg, although a hillside terroir, is being described as dominated by loess and loam, and this makes a considerable difference to the more mineral terroirs that the Ahr is well-known for.

As far as I know, the whole terroir is owned by only one winemaker - Jakob Sebastian from Rech, now owned by Christoph Sebastian - and so all of its wines carry the style and approach of this particular vitner.

From my experience over a few decades, this winemaker always seems to focus on incorporating as much tannins as possible into the wines. When young, Jakob Sebastian red wines all make a fairly herb impression, but they loose that over a few years. While most Ahr wines are supposed to be drunken when young, it is a good idea to store Jakob Sebastin wines for a few years.

The Heppinger Berg Pinot Noir which I had this evening is 6 years old now, and it seems to be at its best now. As most of the Ahr red wines, it is a light one. The Ahr valley is one of Europe's most northerly red wine regions, so don't compare its wines with French Pinots. But I think their lightness can disclose aspects of the Pinot Noir grape that many of the stronger French and other relatives may miss.

I find the Heimersheimer Berg hard to come by. It is a strange crossbreed between an ambiguous Pinot Noir that focusses on complex aromas, and a pleasant, easy-drinking wine. It is quite fruity with a decent pinch of acidity. The bouquet is rather discreet, but I get cherry and mayby some dark fruits on the palate. I would rather not give a food recommendation as this wine stands for itself. Its aromas, its balance between lightness and "serious" approach makes it interesting enough to grant it the central role of a tasting experience. It is an elegant wine, just a little bit more refined than what you would expect from an everyday's food partner.

While I can identify the Heimersheimer Berg as an Ahr wine I'd say it is not a typical one. Today, the Ahr valley is dominated by two winegrower's cooperatives, and three or four ambitious vitners who are out for Parker points. Beyond that, there are some less known vitners who simply provide good value for the money, and still follow their own way. The Heimersheimer Berg is a good example for such an approach.

You may find the Heimersheimer Berg also being referred to as Heppinger Berg. The German wine rules are quite strict, and a few years ago, under miraculous circumstances, the former Heppinger Berg was renamed Heimerheimer Berg (both are neighboring villages). Jakob Sebastian missed the objection deadline, and they had to cope with the fact that their main product was re-branded against their will.

• A taste of Chablis   1 year 14 weeks ago

Interesting you said about Chablis. Like you, I recently found my favourite wine, which is of course Reisling from Germany and then discover Chablis, which is another favourite of mine.

It seems to follow a derivation or slight divertion of taste from Reisling (in a good way).
    The next one i find also very light in the palate is Pouilly Fume from France. It reminds me of Chablis.

I recently went to New York and tried the Californian Reisling. It tasted more like Chardonnay than the German Reisling. It surely tasted different.

• Why I will never buy a Dell computer again   1 year 17 weeks ago

I ordered a vizio 70 inch TV 2 weeks ago, and it's supposed to be here Monday. Today, which is Friday, 2 days away from the delivery date, my order was mysterious canceled. I called DELL AND after 40 minutes of wait time, and after a few runarounds after that, the rep said I have to pay more for it because they listed below margin on the day I ordered the TV. WTF? He actually tried really hard to sell it to me with the higher price, saying it's the cheapest price already, and still cheaper than Amazon...etc. Guess what? I found a cheaper one in my local Costco just today.

I don't know how Dell could have fallen to this low, maybe it's this kind of frustrating and alienating their loyal customs that's brought them from their better years. And come to think of it, I actually spent more than $40k on Dell servers a few years back, and this is the kind of appreciation I get.

Just so you all know, even if Amazon's Vizio is a little bit more expensive, I'd rather buy from them than Dell. Their customer service(not DELL's) is top notch and they'd honor my order in this situation. Good luck Dell, your days are numbered.

• Schnaitmann, Fellbacher Lämmler, Lemberger GG, 2009   1 year 35 weeks ago

I have run into a few of those myself, especially from Swabian producers. Overall I haven't found it a significant issue though, but it is always a question of sample size I guess. I am with you on careful barrique use though!

• Why I will never buy a Dell computer again   1 year 35 weeks ago

I never bought any other brand except Dell and its been about 10 years I am recommending people to buy Dell. Last month I bought two Alienware laptops and paid 4000$ AUD. One of them is leaking some white light from the corner of the display and now after 3 onsite repairs they offering me another repair offsite.
    Funny fact is on the second repair, they wanted to change the mother board to fix the display (this is were I totally lost my faith to the company).
    I am not gonna recommend Dell machines to anyone because its not fair to let anyone else to have the same experience. And I also we have recommend the company to change the brand from Dell to Hell,.

• Schnaitmann, Fellbacher Lämmler, Lemberger GG, 2009   1 year 35 weeks ago

I remember being pretty impressed by some of the Lembergers I tasted at a Grosses Gewächs release tasting a couple of years ago.

There is, however, a familiar German red wine story. All too often the super premium wines are super oaky. The basic wines are generally more drinkable, somehow more honest without the oak schminke. Not just a Württemberg or a Lemberger (or even German) problem of course.

I have to say I don't think these wines will age gracefully, the fruit falls apart and the oak never really integrates.

Hello German wine makers, less barrique please.

• German Gin, with Riesling? Ferdinand's Saar Dry Gin!   2 years 2 weeks ago

Not only in Germany, it has also infected me here in London - although that would be easier to understand... I will check out the Schwarzwald Monkey!

• German Gin, with Riesling? Ferdinand's Saar Dry Gin!   2 years 2 weeks ago

Have a try of Monkey 47 from the Schwarzwald

What's going on in Germany? They've evidentally all gone Gin mad...

• Why I will never buy a Dell computer again   2 years 11 weeks ago

It was literally shocking to read your experience with Dell computers. I agree to the fact that Dell was one of the best and most recommended PCs which gave excellent performances but it was disappointing to read about your complaints on Dell.

• Schmitt's Kinder, Randersacker Sonnenstuhl, Silvaner Kabinett trocken, 2010   2 years 21 weeks ago

Thanks for sharing your experience, Peter. I hadn't realised it is that close to Würzburg - makes it even more appealing to visit.

Inspired by this comment, I recently paid Schmitt's Kinder a visit. It was well worth the walk from Wuerzburg to the other side of Randersacker.

The winemaker is exceptionally friendly, and speaks perfect English. His father (the former winemaker, now retired) is also friendly, although he had to suffer through my terrible German, since he doesn't speak English.

One interesting fact I learned while I was at the winery was that they no longer participate in the Fränkische Weinprämierung, which is why in recent years I have not seen any wines from Schmitt's Kinder appear in the catalogue of FWP gold medal winners. I assumed this was because they somehow had a bad couple of years, but that's not the case!

• Bernhard Huber, Müller-Thurgau Trocken, 2011   2 years 24 weeks ago

Yes, sad news indeed. If you are interested, here is the Decanter piece on Huber: http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-news/587144/germany-s-pinot-noir-godfa... I hope that, despite this, the Elternzeit in NZ is going well!

• Bernhard Huber, Müller-Thurgau Trocken, 2011   2 years 24 weeks ago

Oh man, I am in Elternzeit in NZ and so this news had passed me by. Really sad, I remember tasting through the Spätburgunder at the Mainzer Weinbörse, great great wines

• London wine merchants: Philglas & Swiggot, a special wine shop in Battersea   2 years 26 weeks ago

This is very much great and hope fully nice blog. Every body can easily found her need able information. I am visit first time but I fond many use full article. I will back again when get time.

• Wine Murder Series - generate titles for your wine murder mystery novels   2 years 26 weeks ago

LOL
    very nice!

also works in German:
    Das Riesling-Rätsel
    Die Suche nach dem Sauvignon
    Das Merlot-Mysterium
    Panik beim Pinot Grigio
    ...

• Domaine Huet, Vouvray Clos du Bourg, Sec 2011   2 years 29 weeks ago

It seems we agree in our assessment of the Loire. My co-Rambler Julian is a great fan of Loire Cabernet Francs; I have so far focussed more on the whites, but the Cabernet Francs I have tasted was very good.

The biggest name in Riesling Sekt is Raumland; they make sparkling wines for several of the best estates and also have their own range of excellent sparkling wines, not just Riesling. Generally I find Rieslingsekt is difficult to get outside of Germany though. From the other wines I have tried so far I would say that wineries that make consistently good still Riesling also deliver the goods on Rieslingsekt - so if you find a Sekt from an estate you like I'd just give it a go.

I hope that helps!

• Domaine Huet, Vouvray Clos du Bourg, Sec 2011   2 years 29 weeks ago

Yes Torsten I do agree with you, the Loire has some incredible value wines both red & white. I knew about Pouilly Fume previously but in my recently concluded WSET Level II class our instructor introduced us to Vouvary. I don't have my tasting notes with me right now, but I remember it was a pleasant wine and it was interesting to taste. I hadn't had too many non-dry Chenin Blancs before that; so that was an educational experience for me.

As far as Loire reds are concerned I quite like their Cabernet Francs and find them a bit lighter and at times more elegant than Right Bank Bordeaux. I think Loire wines are easier to pair with food than Bordeaux and they are often friendlier in price than Burgundy and offer good quality.

Can you recommend any Riesling Sekt producers and particularly ones that you might be able to find overseas? Thanks in advance.

Solomon

• Weingut Darting, Huxelrebe Beerenauslese, Forster Schnepfenflug, 2003   2 years 29 weeks ago

This sounds lovely! You are ahead of me on the tasting of aged Huxelrebe, it seems, and I am pleased to hear that it was remarkable and brought back great memories!

• Weingut Darting, Huxelrebe Beerenauslese, Forster Schnepfenflug, 2003   2 years 31 weeks ago

Tonight in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA we opened and drank our 1993 Kallstadter Steinacker Huxelrebe Beerenauslese purchased from Weingut Speckert-Ruprecht.

It was a tasting to remember.
    Every drop was remarkable and filled with twenty years of memories.

JudyandJohn